When we talk about the standard of education in Nigeria, one must first consider the various structure of management and administration in the Nigeria’s Federal Ministry Of Education. That is where the success or failure of Education in Nigeria begins.
Hence, we decided to look through the various departments of the Ministry of Education to find out what their objectives are and how they are going about achieving them.
We also assess everything from their vision, mission, mandates, contact information etc.
Table of Contents
Fact About Federal Ministry of Education
- The Federal Ministry of Education is a part of the Federal Ministries of Nigeria that directs education in Nigeria.
- It is located at Block 5A (8th Floor), Federal Secretariat Complex, Shehu Shagari Way, Central Area, P.M.B. 146, Garki, Abuja.
- President Muhammadu Buhari appointed Adamu Adamu, a well known journalist and loyalist to the president, as the minister for education in November 2015, he is currently the Honourable Minister of Education (HME) as at the time of publishing this article.
- The Honourable Minister of Education is the overall head of the ministry
- There are 23 parastatals under the federal ministry of education
- There are fifteen departments under the federal ministry of education that provide various services.
- The federal ministry of education in Nigeria has 4 units under it, directly controlled by whosoever is the permanent secretary of the ministry .
The Mission, Vision and Mandate of the Ministry of Education Nigeria are as follows:
To use education as a tool for fostering the development of all Nigerian citizens to their full potentials, in the promotion of a strong, democratic, egalitarian, prosperous, indivisible and indissoluble sovereign nation under God.”
To become an economic model, delivering sound education for public good.
The functions of the Federal Ministry of Education Includes:
- Formulate and co-ordinate a national policy on education;
- Collect and collate data for purposes of education Planning and Financing;
- Prescribe and maintain uniform standard of education throughout the Country;
- Control and monitor the quality of education in the Country;
- Harmonize educational policies and procedures of all the States of the Federation through the instrumentality of the National Council on Education (NCE);
- Effect co-operation in educational matters on an international scale; and
- Develop curricula and syllabuses at the National Level.
- National Universities Commission (NUC)
- National Board for Technical Education (NBTE)
- National Commission for Colleges of Education (NCCE)
- Universal Basic Education Commission (UBEC)
- National Commission for Nomadic Education (NCNE)
- National Commission for Adult Education Mass Literacy and Non-Formal Education (NMEC)
- Nigerian Educational Research Development Council (NERDC)
- Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB)
- West African Examination Council (WAEC)
- National Examination Council (NECO), Minna, State.
- National Business and Technical Examination Board (NABTEB)
- National Institute for Educational Planning & Administration (NIEPA)
- National Teachers Institute (NTI)
- Nigerian Mathematical Centre (NMC)
- Nigerian French Language Village (NFV)
- Nigerian Arabic Language Village (NALV)
- National Institute for Nigerian Languages
- Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TET FUND)
- National Library of Nigeria (NLN)
- Teachers’ Registration Council of Nigeria (TRCN)
- Computer Professionals Registration Council of Nigeria (CPN)
- Federal Scholarship Board
- Librarians’ Registration Council of Nigerian (LRCN)
Federal Ministry of Education Contact Information
Address: Federal Secretarial Phase III,
FCT, Abuja. Nigeria
Zip Code: 900242
Tel: +234 903 0009 912, +234 903 0009 913