Florence Obi Biography ; Professor Florence hails from Boki local government area of Cross River State, Nigeria. She began her academic career as an Assistant Lecturer at the Institute of Education, University of Calabar in March 1990.
- Two years after her appointment, she won a 6-months postgraduate scholarship to Jordan-Hill College of Education, Glasgow, Scotland, under the World University Service (WUS) World-Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) and the Nigerian Conservation Foundation (NCF) in a keenly contested interview for staff of the Institute of Education.
- She return from the United kingdom, she was placed in charge of the WWF/NCF funded schools and Community Education Programmes.
- Subsequently, she facilitated the development of the degree programme in Environmental Education of the University, which has since resulted in the establishment of a full-fledged and flourishing Department of Environmental Education.
- Professor Florence Banku Biography further entails how she rose through the ranks to become a Professor of Special Needs Education in 2007.
Table of Contents
UNICAL VC Education
- As Dean, she pioneered the take-off of 22 affiliate programmes of the Federal College of Education, Obudu, Cross River State and the Federal College of Education, Kastina-Ala, Benue State to the faculty of Education of the University of Calabar.
- Professor Florence Banku Obi had also served as the Chairperson of University of Calabar International Demonstration School (formerly called University of Calabar International Secondary School) where she left lasting physical legacies to her credit.
- She was once a Deputy Vice Chancellor of Academics (DVC)
- As DVC Academics, she was also a member of the University Governing Council, where she brought her wealth of experience to bear in the growth and development of the institution.
Florence Obi School Timeline
- St Bridget’s Primary School, Ogep Osokom, Boki, Cross River State, F.S.LC. 1969
- St Thomas’s Teachers Training College, Ogoja; Cross River State, T.C. 11 1983
- University of Jos, Jos Nigeria; B.Ed (Hons) Special Education, 1988; M.Ed. Special Education, 1990
- Jordan Hill College of Education, Glasgow-Scotland; PGCEE, 1993
- University of Calabar, Calabar, Nigeria; Ph.D Psychology of Education, 2002
Florence Obi University Teaching Experience
- Assistant Lecturer 1990-1993
- Lecturer 11 1993-1997
- Lecturer 1 1997-2001
- Senior Lecturer 2001-2004
- Visiting Lecturer, University of Education, Winneba, Ghana 2004-2005
- Associate Professor 2004-2007
- Professor 2007
- Part time Professor in the University of Buea- Cameroon, 2012/2013 Academic Session
- Exchange Professor, Masaryk University, Brmo Czech Republic April-May 2015
- Florence Banku Obi is currently the Vice chancellor University of Calabar, UNICAL.
- Professor Florence Banku Obi has served as a Honourable Commissioner, Ministry of Women Affairs and Social Development and member of Cross River State Executive Council, 2007.
- Professor Obi is a recipient of many Awards/Honours, including the Student Union Government, University of Calabar, “Award as the most student friendly Dean of the Faculty” in 2014.
UNICAL VC Contact Information
Phone Number: +234(0)803 711 3266